Thursday, May 22, 2008

When Confronted About Not Voting For G.I. Bill, McCain Goes Nuts

One good thing John McCain did today was reject Pastor Hagee's endorsement. Of course it took three months to do it, but he finally gave in. However, one good thing couldn't go without an equally bad outburst and McCain delivered. See, he was too busy raising money in California today to be bothered about a vote in the Senate. McCain has missed many votes over the last year while campaigning, but legislation that enables veterans to go to college should be something he might be inclined to show up for. When Obama called him out on it, McCain lost it.

From The Atlantic:

"It is typical, but no less offensive that Senator Obama uses the Senate floor to take cheap shots at an opponent and easy advantage of an issue he has less than zero understanding of. Let me say first in response to Senator Obama, running for President is different than serving as President. The office comes with responsibilities so serious that the occupant can't always take the politically easy route without hurting the country he is sworn to defend. Unlike Senator Obama, my admiration, respect and deep gratitude for America's veterans is something more than a convenient campaign pledge. I think I have earned the right to make that claim.

"When I was five years old, a car pulled up in front of our house in New London, Connecticut, and a Navy officer rolled down the window, and shouted at my father that the Japanese had bombed Pearl Harbor. My father immediately left for the submarine base where he was stationed. I rarely saw him again for four years. My grandfather, who commanded the fast carrier task force under Admiral Halsey, came home from the war exhausted from the burdens he had borne, and died the next day. I grew up in the Navy; served for twenty-two years as a naval officer; and, like Senator Webb, personally experienced the terrible costs war imposes on the veteran. The friendships I formed in war remain among the closest relationships in my life. The Navy is still the world I know best and love most. In Vietnam, where I formed the closest friendships of my life, some of those friends never came home to the country they loved so well .

"But I am running for the office of Commander-in-Chief. That is the highest privilege in this country, and it imposes the greatest responsibilities. It would be easier politically for me to have joined Senator Webb in offering his legislation. More importantly, I feel just as he does, that we owe veterans the respect and generosity of a great nation because no matter how generously we show our gratitude it will never compensate them fully for all the sacrifices they have borne on our behalf.


McCain makes the excuse that he came up with a bill to help veterans (he drew it up after Webb's proposal was submitted). However McCain's plan goes nowhere near Webb's bill that actually pays for college and not drops a few metaphorical pennies and nickels in the bucket. McCain says the Obama made a cheap shot, but the true wound is the one McCain inflicted on the troops by not supporting the Webb bill. Then McCain placates the troops by saying some garbage about how showing our gratitude can never compensate them.

Well, we could start somewhere productive, such as enacting Jim Webb's bill but Johnny boy can't be stopped on this rant. McCain finally tries to connect Obama's attacks on him and the difference between the bills with how Obama would conduct his Presidency. I hate to break it to McCain, but the Senate supported Webb's bill with 75 votes with no mention of the cheap substitute McCain came up with so that he wouldn't have to be seen as voting against the troops. Sorry, we see through that political bullshit.