Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Vito Is On His Way Out, Recchia Too!

There were three people running for New York's 13th Congressional district but now its down to one. Both incumbent Vito Fossella and challenger Dominic Recchia are dropping out of the race. Vito's reasons are a little more in depth than Recchia, with the affair, love child, DWI, future ex-con status, hypocritical stance on marriage, screwing the taxpayers, you get what I'm saying. Well today is the day both exit stage left and what are we going to be left with?

From The Daily Politics:

Fossella was reportedly scheduled to break the news to his staff via an early-morning conference call tomorrow, but word started leaking out late tonight and the congressman's hand was forced.

He provided the following statement to The Staten Island Advance:

"After a great deal of consideration, I have made the decision not to seek re-election to the United States House of Representatives this November. This choice was an extremely difficult one, balanced between my dedication to service to our great nation and the need to concentrate on healing the wounds I have caused to my wife and family."


"Despite the personal mistakes I have made, I am touched by the outpouring of support and encouragement I have received from so many people. Their kind words and prayers during this difficult time mean more to me than I can express. And while many have urged me to run for re-election, I believe this course of action is best for my family and our community."

This comes as details continue to emerge about how Fossella and a former Air Force colonel, Laura Fay, with whom he fathered a child out of wedlock, trysted while traveling on taxpayer funded junkets.


And Recchia?

On the Democratic side, a source confirms the rumor that Councilman Domenic Recchia is NOT expected to follow through with his nascent bid for Fossella's seat, despite the fact that he is sitting on some $325,000.

That leaves Brooklyn attorney Stephen Harrison, who ran an unsuccessful challenge to Fossella in 2006, as the lone announced candidate.

Now wait a minute here. Harrison may have been unsuccessful, but he came closer than any other challenger in quite sometime and pulled in over 43 percent of the vote with no help from the party. He was outspent 13 to 1 and earned the respect of the local Democratic clubs. If the party brass would have help him out, he can take back the district for the Dems this year. I know the establishment wants someone from Staten Island, but Steve has proven he will fight for every single resident of NY-13, whether they be in his native Brooklyn or Staten Island.