Monday, March 10, 2008

Spitzer Blows His Career, Among Other Things

Barely into his second year of being Governor of New York and it looks like End Times for Eliot Spitzer. He should be giving a press conference momentarily about being a client of a prostitution ring that was recently broken up by authorities. This has to be one of THE biggest political scandal in New York history, and that is saying something. Whats worse? He has a wife and three young daughters!

From The NY Times:

Mr. Spitzer, a first-term Democrat who pledged to bring ethics reform and end the often seamy ways of Albany, is married with three children.

Just last week, federal prosecutors arrested four people in connection with an expensive prostitution operation. Administration officials would not say that this was the ring with which the governor had become involved.

But a person with knowledge of the governor’s role said that the person believes the governor is one of the men identified as clients in court papers.

The governor’s travel records show that he was in Washington in mid-February. One of the clients described in court papers arranged to meet with a prostitute who was part of the ring, the Emperors Club VIP on the night of Feb. 13.


What an ass****! And not only that, a hypocrite:

Mr. Spitzer gained national attention when he served as attorney general with his relentless pursuit of Wall Street wrongdoing. As attorney general, he also had prosecuted at least two prostitution rings as head of the state’s organized crime task force.

In one such case in 2004, Mr. Spitzer spoke with revulsion and anger after announcing the arrest of 16 people for operating a high-end prostitution ring out of Staten Island.

“”This was a sophisticated and lucrative operation with a multitiered management structure,” Mr. Spitzer said at the time. ”It was, however, nothing more than a prostitution ring.”


And now you are associated with a prostitution ring Mr. Governor. So much for ethics and reform. Seriously, what a joke. The implications of this could be huge and not only affect Spitzer and his family. If I were Joe Bruno, I'd be jumping up and down right now with glee.

Update from the Gothamist:

I have acted in a way that violated the obligations to my family... I apologize first, and most importantly, to my family. I apologize to the public… I do not believe politics in the long run is about individuals. It is about ideas, the public good and doing what is best for the State of New York. I am disappointed that I failed to live up to the standard that I accepted for myself. I must now dedicate some time to regaining the trust of my family. I will not be taking questions. Thank you very much. I will report back to you in short order. Thank you very much.

Report back? That is rather vague Mr. Spitzer. Please follow through with the rumors and resign, for the good of the party and the state of New York.