Monday, June 02, 2008

Attention K-Mart Shoppers, Get Yer Pro-Lifer Gear Here

Big box stores scare me for many reasons, especially the devastating impact they have on family-run business when those megalith buildings are erected so that thousands can shop at one time. Besides the economic pitfalls, there are also the social ones, such as denying birth control and now we have a "pro-life" clothing line brought to you by K-Mart.

From Feministing:


Photobucket Aw, shit. Kmart is selling abstinence-gear for juniors.

Featuring what Kmart calls a "bold abstinence screen print," the True Love Waits sweatpants come in blue, yellow and gray. I also think it's no coincidence that on the same page they carry "Life is sweet" pants. I have no idea if the pants are in any way connected to the True Love Waits organization, but I'm disturbed nonetheless.

Thanks to reader WM for the link.



Yeah, this is definitely disturbing. I doubt we'll be seeing the opposite (its my body, my choice) line any time soon. The problem is that these corporate hogs are trying to impose their morality on the rest of us. Am I being a bit of a whiner on this issue? Perhaps if you look at it narrowly, but this is but one example of a larger picture that indicates corporate America taking a larger interest in our social moors than simply selling their wares (in a way that has been the slow death of small businesses in this country).