Monday, May 12, 2008

Just Come Out Of That Partisan Closet Joe!

Joe Lieberman is quite the character. Once he was a proud Democratic supporter of civil rights. Now he's a Republican hack. He may claim to be an Independent after having been beaten in the Connecticut Senate Primary two years ago, but really, we all know what party he's in. While supporting McCain today, he showed off one of his ninja Republican tricks of saying one thing and dismissing any truth that may contest his argument.

From DailyKos:

When anecdotal evidence favors his position (i.e., one guy in Hamas says
he would welcome Obama's election), Lieberman sells it:

But the fact that the spokesperson for Hamas would say they would welcome the election of Senator Obama really does raise the question, "Why?"

And it suggests the difference between these two candidates.

But when anecdotal evidence doesn't favor his position (i.e., CNN hears
Iraqis hate Republicans), Lieberman dismisses it:

KYRA PHILLIPS, CNN: I just returned from Baghdad, and what was interesting to me, I sat down with dozens of Iraqi soldiers and dozens of students at Baghdad University, and Senator, they said to me, "We don't want to see a Republican president." Matter of fact, out of every single one that I talked to, one person said they supported John McCain.

They said, "We're living a Republican war. Look at this. It's a disaster! We want to see a Democrat for president." What does John McCain say to the future of Iraq, when we're talking about Iraqi soldiers and Baghdad University students? They're the ones living this.

JOE LIEBERMAN: Well, I'm real surprised to hear that, um, because...

PHILLIPS: I was too!

[Crosstalk]

PHILLIPS: It was very interesting. They were very blunt, and very straightforward.

LIBERMAN: Yeah, I mean, not that I expect the Iraqis to vote in our election, but I will tell you that in all the visits I've made there -- and it's eight -- the Iraqi people on the street, the Iraqi military, the Iraqi government that I’ve talked to, don’t want us to just pick up and leave, which is what Sen. Obama, Sen. Clinton have been advocating.

Wait, wait... does Hamas vote in our elections? I forget.


I don't even know if Joe remembers what he ate for lunch. Keeping up with his hypocritical statements and pro-war votes has to be hard for him. Endorsing McCain probably wears on his soul as well. Somewhere deep down inside is a man who fought for people to have equal rights. What has emerged forty years later is a mere shell.