Wednesday, February 07, 2007

More Ridiculous Laws In NYC

There has to be hundreds of thousands, if not millions of iPods in New York City and other major metropolises in the Empire State. Now Carl Kruger wants to legislate against using them to cross the street. I am all in favor of government regulation to a degree, but State Sen. Kruger has crossed the line here.

From WCBS-TV:

We all seem to have one -- an iPod, a BlackBerry, a cell phone -- taking up more and more of our time, but can they make us too distracted to walk safely? Some people think so.

If you use them in the crosswalk, your favorite electronic devices could be in the crosshairs.

Legislation will be introduced in Albany on Wednesday to lay a $100 fine on pedestrians succumbing to what State Sen. Carl Kruger calls iPod oblivion.


What I am oblivious to does not concern Sen. Kruger. As a free citizen of New York and the United States of America, if I want to blindly step into an intersection and be run over by a bus as a result of listening to Green Day or Bob Dylan, that is my right as an idiot living in Manhattan. It would be a terrible way to go, but it would be my 'choice', so to speak.

Outlawing trans-fats, pit bulls and now operating iPods while crossing the street is too much. Stay out of my stomach and my earphones damnit! Instead of bringing bills like this up for consideration in Albany, why don't you focus on some of the real problems that plague the legislature. Perhaps you could join up with our new governor and help solve our health care and education crisis for starters. Now I'm off to blast my iPod while walking down the middle of 3rd Ave. Hope to see you all later.