Friday, February 09, 2007

The Hoohaa Is A Vagina Yet Again

Yesterday's report on the Atlantic theatre changing the name of the Vagina Monologues will be over soon. The critically acclaimed Vagina Monologues was temporarily re-named by the theater's owner in response to a puritanical lady who was offended by a billboard that caused her little niece to ask what a vagina was. Well dear, it is a pee-pee thing that we don't talk about because that would shame us in front of god, or some bullshit like that.

Well I wrote to the theater to see what was up, and I got a response from one of the managers:

Hi, I am one of the managers here at Atlantic Theatres and I want to say "Thank You" to all of you for writing. First, I think some of you may have misunderstood our actions by thinking we were "caving." "Hoohaa" was meant to be taken tongue in cheek-- I am furious that a woman would complain that her niece who READ the sign actually asked what a vagina is?!! If the child is old enough to read it she should KNOW what it means. I have a 9 year old daughter myself who knows the correct term for her body parts.. why?.. because I taught it to her! It's her body and she should not be ashamed of the words. Of course all kids call them by different names, mine what other than "hoohaa," hence the marquee.. they should be taught the ANATOMICALLY correct terms!! Sorry if it offended anyone but I was offended by the complaint, and now since we have gotten so much support we ARE changing it back to what it should be VAGINA! If Broadway can put up Vagina then we should be able to also!!


Thank you Atlantic theater, for hitting the puritanical evangelicals with humor that most likely went over their heads (Al Pacino scares them too much) and to put the name back just as it was before.