Wednesday, September 05, 2007

We Like Tourists.....But

Bloomberg and pals put on quite a show to show America and the world that NYC is tourist friendly. A whole spread of local celebs went on camera to show off our hospitable nature for the millions that make their way to Manhattan (and occasionally the other boroughs) to see our world-famous sites. Though I have to admit, I do not try to throw rose petals on the sidewalk for our guests. In fact, many New Yorkers including myself have a certain amount of trepidation and even disdain for these travelers.

Whenever I see one of those open-air double-decker buses going through the city I feel as if I am some sort of spectacle to be viewed as one would in a wild animal park (is this just me?). People, we work and live in this city of eight-plus million. We are busy and although happy to provide directions for the lost and confused in a perfectly gridded metropolis (above 14th St. that is), there are certain things that bother us.

If you are coming to NYC for the summer, the Macy's Day parade, Christmas-time or whenever, there are certain things you should be aware of. When you walk around town, be mindful of how you use the sidewalks. They are for walking (shocking I know) and not gawking. If you want to admire the famous buildings and whatnot, step to the side. You might be knocked over by a local that has some place to be. We are a walking city and sidewalks are a sort of highway for us.

There are also the subways you should be aware of. Do not stand in front of the doors when they are about to open. Again, you will be knocked over for not using common sense. I'm not trying to scare you, just making you aware of certain realities. I have seen people barreled over before and I have a feeling it can happen again.

Basically, please use common sense here. We welcome you with open arms....but be courteous of us and we will do the same for you.