Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Some Good Things About Higher Gas Prices

Many Americans complain about high gas prices these days, I certainly did when I owned a car (thank you NYC!) and the way the numbers have jumped in the last few years, it is hard not to. We all know how to gripe about the situation, so why not try to put a silver lining on it? When it comes to markets, higher prices can lead to new solutions when it comes to energy.

Plenty of car makers offer hybrids and even a few electric cars so consumers can cut back on gasoline. With a little push from the government, we can reduce our reliance on foreign and domestic oil and help the environment at the same time.

Another interesting side effect for me living in NYC with no car is the amount of exercise I do everyday. Getting around the city with my feet has me walking over twenty miles a week, whereas when I lived in L.A. with my car, I drove 200 miles or more and walked a mile at most. In fact, there is even a report now that correlates gas prices with weight loss. Charles Courtemanche found out that for every one dollar jump in prices at the pump, obesity in the U.S. is cut 15 percent over a five year period.

So when you are grumbling at the increasing price of gas when you fill up that SUV, keep in mind that if you walk, bike or jog your way to the next destination you could have fattened your wallet and slimmed that gut.