Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Fired Up And Ready To Go!

I’m writing this from the F train somewhere under Queens, speeding (yes, it is the express train) to one of Jim Gennaro’s campaign offices. Jim is running against the Republican State Senator Frank Padavan. If we win this race and one other Democratic challenger in New York beats an incumbent we will take back the Senate for the first time since the 1960s. I’m looking forward to all the GOTV of the day. Though the day started hours ago when I went to vote.

As you can see, even here on the East Side of Manhattan the line to vote was already lengthy before the polls opened. I took this picture at 6:00am and was astounded by the amount of voters. This poll site is never crowded, ever. After thirty minutes outside on a thankfully warm November morning, I got inside and the one massive line broke into several smaller ones according to election district. Yet the wait was worth it, as I pulled the lever to the right and flipped the switch for Barack Obama and Joe Biden. Here in New York fusion parties are allowed (among a few other states), so I went down Row E for the Working Families Party. In a nutshell, they operate outside the two-party system but help to push Democrats into doing all the good things that they are supposed to do.

Being able to cast my vote this morning was one of the most thrilling things I’ve done in quite a while, even with all the volunteering and donating under my belt for Obama. Definitely do not underestimate the power of your vote, and if you haven't done so yet make sure you stay in line when you get there. I really, really, really feel for those that are voting in swing states today. If you are in North Carolina, Florida, Ohio, North Dakota (heh) or one of the other key states, my thoughts are with you.

And last but not least, thank you to the poll workers of Renwick Gardens for helping to make it all happen for me and my vote....and to all poll workers across the country that help facilitate this part of our democracy. I'll be saving these pictures for quite sometime, because I want to tell my future kids and grandkids that I voted for Barack Obama and here's the proof of my commitment to vote. Now it is time to get as many others to vote here for a Democratic State Senate, here's my stop and I'm ready to go!