Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Clearly Hillary Clinton Never Saw Rocky I

Today Senator Clinton will compare herself to the fictional boxer Rocky Balboa. I don't know which multi-million dollar paid consultant came up with this, but Hillary Clinton is a fool to use this line. I know he is a beloved character, there's even a statue of Sylvester Stallone Rocky in the sports complex area (formerly at the Art museum). The character was definitely a fighter and had true PA spirit but there's just one problem.

From ABC News:

In a speech in Philadelphia today, Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-NY, will compare herself to Philly icon Rocky Balboa.

"Well, could you imagine if Rocky Balboa had gotten half way up those Art Museum steps and said, 'Well, I guess that’s about far enough?'" Clinton will ask, according to her prepared remarks released to the press.

"Let me tell you something, when it comes to finishing the fight, Rocky and I have a lot in common," she will tell the Pennsylvania A.F.L.-C.I.O. audience. "I never quit. I never give up. And neither do the American people."

Um….Senator?

Rocky lost.

It was a split decision, but the judges (superdelegates?) awarded the fight to Rocky's black opponent, Apollo Creed.


I know that the movie is more than thirty years old but if you are going to reference a movie and compare a character in it to yourself it is best that you know the plot line. Now to be fair to Rocky...and Senator Clinton, Rocky did go on to win in later films so maybe that's just the ticket for Hillary, come back and try again another year.