Friday, August 10, 2007

Richardson Came Out Blue, But Stumbling Over Rainbows

This past Saturday I got Governor Richardson to take a picture with me at YearlyKos with my thermal camera on this MacBook. We both came out blue which was nice to see. Unfortunately he had some problems with the the color spectrum yesterday when some of the candidates got together to talk about GLBT rights in America.

From RawStory:

Former New Mexico Governor Bill Richardson declared homosexuality a "choice" after a question from lesbian signer Melissa Etheridge during the Democrats' "gay debate" Thursday night.

Etheridge, one of the panelists, asked the governor whether he considered homosexuality "innate" or a choice.

“It’s a choice,” he replied.

"Suggesting Richardson might have misunderstood," remarked the gay paper Southern Voice, Etheridge "then rephrased her question to ask him whether he thinks 'a homosexual is born that way, or do you think that around seventh grade, we go, 'Ooo, I want to be gay.'"

Richardson stumbled.

“It’s, it’s, it, you know, I don’t see this as an issue of science or definition,” he said. “I see gays and lesbians as people, as a matter of human decency. I see it as a matter of love and companionship and people loving each other. You know, I don’t like to categorize people. I don’t like to answer definitions like that, that you know perhaps are grounded in science or something else that I don’t understand.”


The comeback was ok, human decency should be applied to all humans, regardless of our differences. But Governor, the science is in, our sexual orientation is not a choice. The only choice is to either express who you are or hide in a society that has so much discrimination against people being different, especially when it comes to this issue.

Richardson's further 'clarifications' didn't do much in the way of damage control. He couldn't just come out and say that sexual orientation isn't a choice. Why he refuses to do so is beyond me.