Friday, April 20, 2007

Justice Served Against Judge Garson

The New York justice system got a little cleaner yesterday with the conviction of ex-state Supreme Court Justice Gerald Garson. Judge Garson had his own spin on the legal system, to manipulate it in his favor. He was found guilty of three of seven counts of bribery and misconduct as secret recordings showed that he was on the take and ruled for plaintiffs or defendants based on deals he had with their lawyers.

This case is personal for me because my cousin was on the wrong end of Garson's gavel in a custody suit with his ex-wife. Despite evidence that my cousin was a great father to his son, Garson gave full custody to his ex-wife without visitation rights. Now it is hard for him to even get in touch with his kid. Garson ruined part of my family and I am glad to see that karma has come around to the judge that treated his family court like a joke.

From ABC7:

- A guilty verdict was reached Thursday in the trial of former Brooklyn state Supreme Court Justice Gerald Garson.

Garson was found guilty of three of seven counts of bribery and misconduct. He showed no reaction as the verdict was read.

Six other people have already been convicted of crimes linked to the case.

The trial for Garson, who is 74, had been delayed due to appeals on procedures. Garson faces a maximum of seven years in prison when he's sentenced in June.

Prosecutors had used video from a camera setup in the judge's chamber showing him allegedly taking gifts from a divorce lawyer who's clients then got favorable rulings.

This tape was made in Judge Gerald Garson's robing room back in 2003.

First we hear Judge Garson trashing his job.

On Tape:

"Let me tell you something about this job...one of the great things about this job is I don't know what the f--- I have tomorrow, until I get here ... I don't give a s--- either, you know? ..."


Let me tell you something Gerald, I give a shit. My cousin gives a shit and so does my Aunt, who is not allowed to see her grandson. My Aunt is one of the sweetest ladies I have ever known and the way she is treated due your criminal history while sitting on the bench is atrocious.

Thankfully the trend around New York has been to clean up the garbage in our government and I am glad to see Garson put in the proper receptacle.