Sunday, April 22, 2007

How Did You Spend Your Earth Day?

Honestly, I didn't do much 'green' activity. Being in Los Angeles for a friends' wedding, I had to drive around town and pollute the air with a borrowed car. I did manage to breathe the cool, misty air at Dodger Stadium this afternoon, only to be disappointed with a loss to the Pittsburgh Pirates. Now to make matters worse I'm getting on an airplane to fly 2800 miles back home to New York.

With all of that anti-Earth activity I would like to defend myself with some advice from the Vernon Morningstar. Meaning that we should treat everyday as Earth Day. Most days I am without the car I sold last year, walking and taking the subway up and down and across New York City. I use energy efficient light bulbs and working on making a compost pile outside my apartment to reduce my trash that goes to the landfills. I may not be NoImpactMan, but I am doing my best as an expatriate Los Angeleno who used to drive thousands of miles a year.

As April 22nd winds down to a close, I hope that everyone will remember that to the Earth, everyday counts when it comes to protecting the environment. I am trying to get into better patterns that reduces my carbon impact on the planet. I humbly suggest that everyone else tries to do the same, since we all reside on this 'living planet.'