Monday, January 26, 2009

How Hard Is It To Write "Barack Obama"?

Sometimes it is hard to learn new names. I know for myself that I generally have to hear someone's name and connect it to their face four to eight times on average (sometimes just once though) before it is set in my memory. However, in the last four years I've heard Barack Obama's name thousands upon thousands of times. Needless to say, I got it down pat when I was at the DNC in Boston back when Kerry was the nominee. So I find it hard to imagine how so many members of Congress are still not able to spell our President's name.

From RawStory:

"Members who favored 'Barak' included Rep. Mark Souder (R-Ind.), in a photo caption from Tuesday’s inauguration; Rep. Devin Nunes (R-Calif.), in a press release on Obama’s swearing-in; Sen. Patty Murray (D-Wash.), in a photo caption from the inauguration (which has since been fixed); Rep. John Carter (R-Texas), in a Jan. 9 press release urging Obama to work with Republicans on tax cuts; and Sen. Sam Brownback (R-Kan.), in a November 2008 statement congratulating Obama on his election victory," Roll Call reports.

Rep. Jack Kingston (R-Ga.), Rep. Gary Ackerman (D-N.Y.), Sen. Kit Bond (R-Mo.), and Sen. James Inhofe (R-Okla.) were all busted employing the name "Barrack."
Now I know, this isn't the worst problem in the world. We have to confront an economy in shambles, a broken health care system and we're wasting money to fix all of that on wars. Yet, you would think that the people on the job to face those complex tasks could at least spell the President's name.