Tuesday, January 29, 2008

The Mis-Statements Of The Union

The State of the Union is the one time of year that the President gets to go up on stage in the House of Representatives and address both Houses of Congress, his Cabinet and the Justices of the Supreme Court. Everyone gets to come except for one member of the Cabinet just in case something were to happen, but it doesn't unless you believe in the imagination of Tom Clancy. It is known as the political Academy Awards and everyone in the Washingtonian world pays attention.

I of course tried to as well, but for some reason my Internet went down from the hours of 9:10pm and about 8:30 this morning, so I didn't get to see it live. I was able to read highlights from my Treo and my Mom graciously let me listen to Kathleen Sebelius over the phone as she gave the Democratic response. It isn't too big a deal that I missed it, since we all kind of knew what he would say anyways.

Thankfully it was the last time we will have to hear his lies at the State of the Union. And boy oh boy were there quite a few whoppers. The hard workers at ThinkProgress catalogued each lie and followed it up with the facts from reality, as opposed to the delusions in George Bush's head. He lied about everything from progress (or lack of it) in Iraq, to disaster relief in New Orleans, climate change agreements and the false promise of Health Savings Accounts. The speech highlights how remarkable a disaster his Presidency has been....thankfully it is less than a year from being over.