Monday, October 22, 2007

Taxicab Confessional

Yeah I know this is my second post today on the subject, but I think I can shine a little more light on what the deal is. Earlier today I caught a cab from the West Village to Murray Hill, shelling out $15 to go from one zone to the other. I found out that the steep fares are part of the contingency plan that is helping people commute better by being able to share rides to and fro in the city.

Anyways, the cabbie was very friendly with me so we got to talking about the strike. Obviously you can determine his position on the issue since he was picking up fares for the one day event. After screaming at another driver for trying to get in his lane he addressed the primary concern before he decided to cross the picket line last month.

According to him the major cause for concern wasn't the GPS trackers (he understands many other driving professionals already use it around the country) but what happens with his 1099. With the trackers in place, the fare records can go straight to the IRS and that means....you guessed it, cab drivers would be held accountable for the business they do when it came time to do taxes.

My cabbie realized that with this in effect, drivers would have to be honest with the business that they do. "Honesty, what a concept," I said sarcastically to him and we both bust out laughing.

So it isn't about being tracked to your home when not on the clock, its evading taxes. Sure, no one likes paying them but generally people look down on tax dodgers. And besides that, he loved working today because getting a $15 fare when the trip is generally $9 is part of a good day's work. As I got out of the cab, he delivered a bit of sarcasm back at me..."Next time I see you, don't expect to pay these fares."

I won't mind the fares going back to normal, not at all.