Monday, October 08, 2007

Mitt Romney Turns His Back On MS Patient In Wheelchair

As Mitt Romney spryly walked around a campaign event to shake hands, he encountered Michael Clayton in his wheelchair. Michael has been debilitated by muscular dystrophy and asked the candidate about his views on medical marijuana, specifically if he would legalize the drug for those that use it for medicinal purposes only. What do you think Mitt had to say?

From RawStory:

At a campaign stop in Dover, NH, Mitt Romney was asked about medical marijuana by Clayton Holton, who has muscular dystrophy. "I have the support of five of my doctors saying I am living proof that medical marijuana works," Holton told Romney.

Romney suggested he use synthetic marijuana instead, but Holton said, "I have tried it and it makes me throw up."

He then asked, "Will you arrest me and my doctors if I get medical marijuana?"

"I'm not in favor of medical marijuana being legal," Romney told Holton curtly, then deliberately turned his back on him to say "Hi, how are you" to other members of the audience.


Wasn't that nice of Mitt? Another member in the audience asked him if he would answer Michael's question but basically ignored him and moved on to other people in the crowd. Apparently Romney would throw Mr. Clayton and his doctors in jail, despite the benefits that the drug provides.

Now that's compassionate conservatism at work!