Friday, September 28, 2007

Si Se Puede FreshDirect

First off, I have to admit I love FreshDirect. I started using them after my accident and I couldn't move from my apartment last year. The service is fantastic and my food always arrives in pristine condition. The only time I had a problem with delivery was when that massive early morning thunderstorm paralyzed the city back in July. Even then they gave me a discount for my next order. So I was sorry to see an article on them this morning about conditions in their warehouse out in Long Island City. Company efforts to stop workers from unionizing pissed me off as well.

The truck drivers have already unionized last year, becoming part of the local UFCW. As expected with a union, their working conditions have improved and receive adequate benefits. However, 900 warehouse workers are still getting shafted with low wages and bad conditions at the headquarters in Long Island City. Union proponents claim that two organizers were fired once their efforts were made public. The company disputes that but thats what companies do when presented with bad press.

These workers deserve better. Let FreshDirect know that all their employees should have access to unionize without intimidation. With the decreasing power of unions across the country, their resurgence can only come with more workers getting together to fight for fair compensation and decent working environments.

Si Se Puede FreshDirect!