Tuesday, June 26, 2007

The Death Of The Last NYC Deli

Delis will never truly die but many fear the end of an era is at hand. Second Avenue Deli's departure stunned many, blamed on the drastic rise in the price of rent. Now there may be another victim of the times, the iconic Katz' Delicatessen on Houston Street. It isn't official yet, but the rumors are starting to get around. TimeOut New York asks the hard questions on what is behind the dying delis.

It could be those rising rents and the subsequent $14 dollar sandwiches (or more at the touristy Carnegie and Stage Delis). Not as many people pack themselves into the institutional eateries of the cities anymore. Personally I do not make it to Katz' as often as I would like, but I am a regular at Sarge's Deli which is nearby. There's a Nona that works there that could be my supplemental grandma.

Despite my eating habits, maybe the times have changed for good kosher delis (or at least resembles being parve). It seems like there's a new trendy restaurant wherever I look. As I'm typing this I can see the brand new THAINY across the street on 28th and 3rd. The place used to be occupied by Noodles on 28th (which moved a block up the street) but left the space because of skyrocketing rent.

So who's to blame? The developers, the lack of patrons, healthier and more chic eating habits? It might be a little bit of all of the above.