Thursday, April 12, 2007

RIP Kurt Vonnegut

Kurt Vonnegut mentioned in his last book, "Man Without A Country" that he loved his life in old age, going to the corner store for cigarettes and what not on his block here in the city on 48th between 2nd and 3rd Avenue. It always amused me that when I looked north through my window, the amazing Kurt Vonnegut lived straight uptown from by a few blocks. In some strange way it made me feel a little more special to be living here in Manhattan.

Besides location, his books and stories are beyond compare. The man was a satirical genius and always captured his readers with incredilble wit. "Slaughterhouse V," "Cats Cradle," and so many more of his books are literary icons for our society and around the world.

To think positively at a sad time like this, it is good to remember that he lived a rich and full life, making it to the ripe old age of 84. Hello, goodbye, hello goodbye my dear friend.