Saturday, April 07, 2007

McCain: Lying To The American People Is 'Fun'

I am going to say this outright, John McCain is a disgrace to America. There is really nothing redeeming left to this guy. Sure, he was a POW in Vietnam and served bravely in the armed forces, but that was then and this is now. He lied to the American people when he said Baghdad was safe and his reaction to being called out on that lie shows just how callous this man is.

He could not be humble and simply apologize for his statements. To his credit he did say that he misspoke and regretted what he said. He also admitted that his safe walk around al-Shorja market included the protection of 100 U.S. troops and five helicopters. It is what he said afterward that absolutely horrifying.

From Editor and Publisher:


The remarks made headlines and he now regrets saying them. "Of course I am going to misspeak and I've done it on numerous occasions and I probably will do it in the future," says McCain. "I regret that when I divert attention to something I said from my message, but you know, that's just life," he tells Pelley, adding, "I'm happy, frankly, with the way I operate, otherwise it would be a lot less fun."

He continues to maintain that the president's surge policy has improved safety in Baghdad. "I can understand why [the Army] would provide me with that security, but I can tell you that if it had been two months ago and I'd asked to do it, they would have said, 'Under no circumstances whatsoever.' I view that as a sign of progress," says McCain.

Continuing America's military presence in Iraq has been a key position in McCain's presidential bid. He says he knows he is out of step with the rest of the country. "I believe we can succeed and I believe that the consequences of failure are catastrophic," he tells Pelley. "I disagree with what the majority of the American people want. Failure [in Iraq] will lead to chaos, withdrawal will lead to chaos."


First of all, to freely admit he is out of step with the American people should be an automatic death sentence for any Presidential campaign. A President should lead the citizens of the United States, not subvert the will of the vast majority. What is even far worse than that is saying that to lie to the voters is 'fun' and that he is happy to operate in such a manner.

With an attitude like that, consider McCain D.O.A. for any chance at becoming our next commander-in-chief.