Monday, February 09, 2009

Smith Says No Gay Marriage This Year...How About We Get Them On Record?

Saturday night Malcolm Smith made a very disappointing statement. After months on the campaign trail promising to pass marriage equality if only we'd elect a Democratic Senate, he doesn't see the bill going anywhere this year (I'm sure all the LGBT groups that gave the DSCC money would have liked to know that). The problem, according to Malcolm is that he just doen;t have the 32 votes necessary to get the bill through.

From The NY Times:

Speaking in Manhattan at a fund-raiser for the Human Rights Campaign, a national gay-rights group, Mr. Smith said there was still much work to be done on the issue.

“I know one of your top priorities is the recognition of marriage between same-sex couples — something that I strongly support, something that I believe in and something that we will make happen together,” he told the crowd.

Then, as he received a burst of applause and cheers, he added, “Hold up.” He went on: “Although we do not have the number of votes at this time needed to pass the marriage equality gender bill this legislative session, we are committed to pursuing its passage. And the question is not if; the question is when. So our work still needs to happen for it to happen this year. But I’m going to need your help, and I’m going to need your prayers.”
The Majority Leader can have my prayers, my chants and my meditative thoughts, but only for a price. Everything in Albany costs something right? These things are bleepin' valuable if you know what I'm saying. What I want isn't cash or a prize, what I want is a sign of reform in the Senate. Supposedly that was priority number one (or two or three) for the incoming Democratic majority.

A sign of reform would be to actually let another member of the Senate bring the bill to legalize gay marriage to the floor and let all 62 Senators take a stand on the matter, in public. For decades we have had little to no transparency in our State Legislature, where the crucial deals are made off-site, or somewhere in the LOB. So Smith, what do you say? I'll trade you some prayers if you let the bill go via Committee Chair for an open vote like you promised. Sounds like a fair deal to me.