Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Some Advice For Christine Quinn's Blog

It is always nice to see more and more public officials blogging these days. When Congressmembers, Senators and ex-Presidents come around DailyKos, things get interesting to say the least. On the local level, the Governor drops by The Albany Project and many other officials give interviews to blogs and even create one for themselves. Last week the controversial Speaker Christine Quinn came up with the aptly named Red Room Blog hosted at the Council's website. Almost immediately, there were ideas thrown out to her.

From Public Advocate Betsy Gotbaum:


In my opinion, it's only a matter of time before elected officials blogging will be the rule, not the exception, and I am glad to see more of my colleagues joining me in the blogosphere.
The Public Advocates Corner has already helped me let more people know what I’m working on, and what I care about, and hear more from New Yorkers about issues that concern them.

I hope the Red Room blog also serves to create an online conversation around legislative happenings and other council news (can we expect to see a space for comments?), and I look forward to reading it over the coming months.

as well when I saw the blog. It was apparently and dare I say, intentionally missing. See Betsy, Speaker Quinn doesn't generally like to get feedback on what she does. I remember during the term limits extension "public forum" time, she didn't even bother to show up to the chambers to hear citizens' grievances. Instead she went to small events around town that suited her interests.

Public officials that blog can be divided into two categories. Most politicians write online in order to spread their message, as if they were giving a speech and everyone in the room is honored just to listen. Then there is a smaller group that comes to participate, not only presenting a vision but responding to people's comments, concerns and suggestions. Quinn is clearly in the former.

With that said, I wish her goodluck in her blog. I do hope she follows that advice to open a comment section. And of course that she reads it from time to time, or at least has an intern or staffer that can read it to her when she isn't busy kissing Bloomberg's behind.