Monday, October 20, 2008

Two More Councilmembers Team Up For Bloomberg

Yesterday's news saw the somewhat depressing fact that two more members of the Council decided to say yes to the Mayor and no to our democratic process. Helen Sears and Kendall Stewart brought the "yes" side to sixteen votes and ten away from passing the bill. Meanwhile, those who are against the legislation only need seven more votes, so technically the push against Bloomberg is working thus far. For the sixteen left undecided, let's see what they might have gleaned from Sears and Stewart's reasoning.

From The NY Daily News:

Stewart's statement (released Saturday):

"When my constituents elected me into office, it was to represent them and make the best possible decisions for our community. Currently, we are faced with an issue that will have an immense impact not only on my district, but on the entire city. I take my responsibility to hear from the public and make tough decisions seriously."

"This issue has received extensive debate, and I have concluded that the right decision is to support the extension of term limits. This is not an easy decision, but it is ultimately what is in the best interest of our great city."

"I have worked hard on behalf of my district for the past six years, helping them solve problems big and small. Now, as we face extraordinary and difficult times, is the time to keep those in office who are experienced and knowledgeable in city government. I have worked to get results for my constituents, and I remain dedicated to serving the public each and every day."

Sears' statement (released today):

"I have listened carefully to the arguments presented by those both in favor of the bill to extend term limits and those opposed. It is my sincere belief that it is in the best interest of the city of New York to extend term limits from 2 terms to 3. This decision was not made easily, but it is the right one.”
Stewart either buys the Mayor's "Only I can save New York" thinking or is using it as a lame excuse to cover for other reasons, such as wanting to run for his third term in 2009. Sears doesn't even try in her statement, perhaps since the Post outed her as being a top recipient of the Mayor's slush fund. With a vote coming as early as this week but more likely next, there will definitely be a lot of lobbying at City Hall for those crucial undecideds. Bloomberg has plenty of them working on his side, so if you support the right of the people to rescind or keep term limits, then pick up the phone and call your Council member (especially if they are undecided) and make sure they vote the right way.