Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Finding Patience For Stupidity

So I'm sitting here at the end of Terminal A at Burbank Airport with my girlfriend, waiting for JetBlue's Flight 358 to leave. Of course we are waiting for Flight 359 to come into Burbank and that is three hours behind. Having patience for the flight is a necessity, it isn't like I can hop on my own private jet and head out to New York on a whim. Who do you think I am, Rudy Giuliani? Dealing with a total of four outlets for the entire room, the terminal-wide radio system and the TV that blare at the same time and the too frequent messages about Code Orange, some moron that hasn't gotten on their flight or whatever meaningless piece of information the loudspeaker people want to inform us of.

After more than two hours of this and another hour or so to go, I'm trying to find the internal patience to calmly deal with the situation. I know that plenty of travelers have had to deal with much worse due to weather and whatnot, so a small backache isn't too bad I guess. The worst part is that my honey could be late for work in the morning. So things aren't that bad.

Now having patience for this is a million times harder to find:

This morning on NBC’s Today Show, President Bush denied that the there’s any link between the faltering U.S. economy and $10 billion a month being spent on the Iraq war. In fact, according to Bush, the war is actually helping the economy:

CURRY: You don’t agree with that? It has nothing do with the economy, the war — spending on the war?

BUSH: I don’t think so. I think actually the spending in the war might help with jobs…because we’re buying equipment, and people are working. I think this economy is down because we built too many houses and the economy’s adjusting.


Too many houses? TOO MANY HOUSES??? Are you kidding me, seriously, what planet does our pResident live on? How the hell does anyone with a shred of common sense not see the link between a costly war and our economy that is being drained by the moment. This is something I have no patience for whatsoever. I'd rather wait for the flight that leaves tomorrow, sitting on hot coals than deal with another day of this train wreck named George.