Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Sweet Jesus To Be Resurrected On October 27th

The second coming of Christ is upon us all ye merciful faithful. That is if you like that sweet milk chocolate sculpted into the image of the Holy Son. The controversial artist Cosimo Cavallaro has crafted a second piece out of fresh chocolate along with other "Catholic" images made out of cocoa beans and sugar.

From WNBC:

"My Sweet Lord," an anatomically correct milk chocolate sculpture of Jesus Christ that infuriated Catholics before its April unveiling was canceled, returns Oct. 27 to a Chelsea art gallery, its creator said Tuesday. This time, artist Cosimo Cavallaro said he expects the public exhibit to proceed without a problem.

"There is nothing offensive about this," Cavallaro said of his controversial confectionary work. "If my intentions were to offend, if I did do something wrong, I wouldn't be doing this. But I didn't do anything wrong."

Cavallaro, who received death threats before the April show was canceled, said the vast majority of his mail was in support of his six-foot piece.

The brouhaha over this is not expected to be as bad as what happened in April and the Catholic League says they will not protest him again. For one the Proposition Gallery is not on any main streets and late October is nowhere near Palm Sunday.

The publicity six months ago seems to have gotten to Cavallaro's head. I may not have read this quote right, but this strikes me as a little odd:

After the cancellation of the show, it got me to look into the Catholic religion a little deeper," Cavallero said. "I started thinking about the saints, how they were ostracized for their beliefs and then canonized."

Cavallero may be good at sculpting chocolate, but his being ostracized will definitely not lead to any canonization for the artist. Nevertheless, I think I might actually head over to Chelsea to see (and maybe try to taste) the art.