Sunday, September 16, 2007

Hagel Rips Fellow Republicans

I know that Republicans consider Senator Hagel the same as we look at Lieberman, as an outcast of the party (though technically Lieberman is now an independent). Last week he declared he wouldn't run again in Nebraska, paving the way for former Democratic Governor Bob Kerrey to help his party pick up another seat in the Senate. Hagel's news prompted him a spot on the Bill Maher's show Friday night and he wasn't bashful with his thoughts about the GOP.

From RawStory:

"I've heard a lot of Republicans in the last year or so say 'I want my party back,'" says Maher. "I imagine you're somewhat in the same camp. Do you think the Republican party has been hijacked by incompetents and religious fanatics?"

"Oh, I think it's been hijacked by incompetency," Hagel concedes. "I think that's what has driven the Republican Party right off the cliff, and we are not who we say we are."

"We've run up the biggest budget debt since FDR, and he had an excuse, and that was the World War and a depression."


FDR was serious about leading our country out of perilous times, Bush is guiding us down a path of disaster. Dishonesty and incompetence are Republican party mantras. Saying one thing and doing the other is the status quo. Americans are fed up with it and demand change. We got that in 2006, and we'll get more of it in 2008.