Monday, November 03, 2008

Waiting In Line To Give The Mayor A Piece Of My Mind

This morning I went to City Hall to give the Mayor a piece of my mind. I knew there would be a good amount of people in attendance but I did not expect a massive horde like this one to the left (taken with my cell phone). I saw plenty of politicians like Anthony Weiner, Bill de Blasio, newcomer Dan Squadron, Letitia James, my very own Councilwoman Rosie Mendez, Peter Vallone Sr. and many others.

I got to chat with a member of the Protect LES and Chinatown group that deplores the Mayor's attempt at rezoning policy that will give large chunks of the city to developers at the expense of those that live there now. I had a nice discussion with Susan Lerner of Common Cause about term limits and what a Democratic State Senate would mean for the issue. Yet because I am an ordinary New Yorker and have time constraints (besides I'd rather be canvassing this afternoon rather than waiting in line to see the Mayor) I left before I even had a chance to get close to the Blue Room.

Of course, even if I had waited to see my Mayor all day long and gave the best two minute speech of my life, it wouldn't have made a difference. The truth is that the public comment period is a farce and that everyone at City Hall this morning was there for the theater. That doesn't mean that being there was for naught, because the people will watch the news reports and be reminded yet again that Bloomberg subverted democracy for political expediency and to enhance his own power. Though if anyone was under the impression that they can sway the Mayor, then they will be sorely disappointed. What we need to do is lead the people who have been fooled by the Mayor's misdirection and get them to vote Bloomberg and the 29 bums who supported the extension of term limits out of office next year and send a clear message to the Council that they better start respecting the will of the people.